This year’s Centenary Show will focus on the Wildflower Society’s development through the past 100 years, as well as the Herbarium project, and offers a variety of activities to entertain young and old.
The Darling Wildflower Society has been around for more than a century and the Society’s Show takes place annually over the third weekend in September. It celebrates an integral part of the Cape Fynbos Kingdom comprised of Renosterveld, Rietveld, Sandveld and Strandveld, where more than 1 200 different species of flowers can be found.
Ticket includes entry to:
- The Landscaped Hall depicting the flowers of the area in their natural habitat.
- An orchid display by Orchid Creations by Trisha.
- A free ride on a tractor-drawn wagon to see the pristine wetland at Oude Post, which is not normally accessible to the public and may only be visited during the show.
- Craft & Gourmet Food Market.
- Veteran tractor/car display.
- Entertainment tent featuring live music from famous local acts like Klassik, Nedine Blom and Petra Mans.
- Safe and secure parking for vehicles.
- Free Wi-Fi supplied by Fox Wireless at the festival venue.
Look forward to a range of workshops
Detailed information about the following workshops is available the website:
- Prof Peter Linder (currently residing in Zürich, Switzerland) will be doing two workshops called “Reeds In The Sandveld”, of which one will take place in the veld and the other at the Darling Club.
- “Tussie Mussie” workshops by Karen Moyle from Flowers on The Stoep: 16 and 17 September, 10 to 11am @ R300pp. Only 10 people per session.
- !Khwa ttu will be doing kids’ and family workshops about fynbos and its links to traditional San culture and their heritage.
- A talk by Simply Bee about bees and the importance of their conservation, at the entertainment tent on Friday, 15 September.
In addition there will be a shuttle driving through Darling, stopping at places of interest including the Darling Museum, Evita’s Perron, Duckitt Nurseries and the Renosterveld Reserve. Browse more than 100 food and craft stalls, while the kids enjoy the play park area and entertainment ranging from face-painting to rides, or relax in the Mini Wine Route & Beer Tent. Visit the Darling Wildflower Show and help conserve the endangered floral kingdom for future generations.
Show dates: 14 to 17 September 2017
Times: Thursday to Saturday: 09h00 to 17h00; Sunday: 09h00 to 15h00
Venue: Darling Golf Club, Jacaranda Street, Darling
Tickets: Purchase online. Group specials on application.
Ticket prices: Adults R60; Scholars R40; Pensioners R40 (Thu & Fri only); Kids u13 free
Source: Darling Wildflower Society. Images: Silver Dune Photography