While you’re crunching the numbers, packing those healthy lunches and buying new sports gear to motivate you, don’t forget to plan your next holiday.
Planning a holiday at the beginning of a year may sound a little self-indulgent, but research shows quite the opposite! Various studies conducted around the world indicate that people who go on more holidays reap the following benefits:
- Lower stress levels, lower blood pressure and less risk of heart disease.
- A drop in blood glucose levels, reducing the risk of diabetes.
- An increase in energy levels, contentedness, general health and wellbeing.
- Weight loss (related to decreased levels of the stress-induced hormone cortisol) and enhanced mood.
- Improvement in quality of sleep.
- An improved rate of resilience to stress once you return to work.
There are several reasons why we recommend booking your next holiday early in the year:
- If you book your holiday early, you might be able to pay it off earlier in the year, leaving you free to afford spending money and other little luxuries.
- The anticipation of an upcoming holiday will give you light at the end of the tunnel and enough energy to get through the more arduous tasks of daily life.
- When you book your holiday earlier in the year, you place the same amount of value on your personal life as you do on your professional life. This is one step closer to achieving the work-life balance we all strive for.